Wednesday 13 December 2017

Crown camber, Ice, and Gravel in the wind





When can you visit? AJ txt.

What about now? I txt back


Ok.

- I’m on my way.


I don't know why I followed the sat nav, but all too late I realised it would take me over the tops to Hebden to see AJ. What I didn't expect was the snow, the hill fog and an icy road. (it was a warmer outlook in the rearview mirror) Worst of all was the high crown camber together with an undulating surface. The speed limit was 50mph. I was scared to death of going 35 let alone 50 

I kept imagining my van turning into a pile of firewood by the snowy roadside as my hands were locked to the steering wheel.

Parking a 23’ van in a small valley town is test, but eventually AJ and I met for coffee n cake. Later we had a veggie curry, then watched Murder on the Orient Express in freezing cold Halifax.(can't recommend - it and Im not talking about Halifax) On our return, I parked adjacent to his detached garage down the road from his cottage, hoping for a beautiful view of the valley in the morning. Instead I got wind and rain all night. You know the type that comes in waves, and you hear it coming? It raced up the valley rocking the van each time. When the wind fetched rain it was like someone throwing buckets of gravel at the side of my van.

Well, not every sleep in the van is good, but worth it to see an old mate. (yes he’s way older than me, just sayin’)

No comments:

Post a Comment